Did you know that June is National Employee Wellness Month? No? We just found out too!
The observance is in its fourth year and it has some significant supporters behind it, including WorldatWork. We think it’s a great idea and want to encourage more companies to get involved.
As we’ve mentioned before, workplace flexibility has strong ties to employee wellness. If we want to create healthy and productive workplaces, we need to look beyond diet and exercise toward activities that help employees reduce stress too.
Beyond your standard wellness activities, here’s how we think your organization might promote workplace flexibility as a contributor to overall well-being:
- Promote your current workflex options like flexible scheduling and telework.
- Trial a “Telework Day” when all (or most or half) of your team works from home. (Make this a business continuity exercise. What did you learn? What new supports would you need if a disaster kept you away from work for the day? What would an employee need to work from home if he/she was sick?)
- Hold lunchtime education sessions about learning to take charge of your work-life and make values-based decisions. At Life Meets Work, we offer a popular “Accept It or Change It” workshop.
- Ask all flexible work teams to create or review their team charter to improve flex team dynamics.
- Hold a management team book discussion on Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements.
- Hold manager or team training sessions to improve support for flex.
- Ask employees to share their stories of how a flexible workplace helps support their well-being!
If you haven’t partnered already, make an appointment to talk with your company’s employee wellness leader. Can you work together to make the case for a flex work expansion? Look for joint metrics and outcomes you might collaborate on and consider ways your flexible work and wellness messaging could be coordinated.